Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Of Ultimatums and Truths

Yesterday, being a conciencious employee, I filled out a vacation request form for 3 days for a very important family get-together next month. The office manager told me that I couldn't take one of the days off because a co-worker has already put in for that day. I told her that this family event was much more important than this job to me and she needs to find some way of accommodating me.

She told me that one of the owners (living in Palm Springs, no less) says that everyone is replaceable.

She doesn't get it. This is not an ultimatum. The idea of not taking this day off is not an option.

If I lose the job - so be it. Maybe it's God's way of telling me to start my own business.

4 comments:

P said...

i would say, "then deduct one day of pay from my check for that week -- i'm not missing this."

one freaking day. is the world going to crumble? it's not like you plan to abuse any leniency.

diane303 said...

I actually did say that exactly. I told the office mgr. that I would be willing to take off without pay so that she could hire her daughter to help her in the office.

My boss who is NOT living in the lap of luxury in Pal Beach said "Don't worry, we will work something out!"

Whatever - I'm not worried about it.

hooizz said...

whats the use of having vacation days if you cant take them when you want. your boss is a manager... go manage to find someone to fill in for you. ha!

cheers
hooizz

www.xanga.com/hooizz

diane303 said...

I did offer to pay to have someone keep my seat warm, while I'm gone (like "P" said - I'm not gonna miss this one).

In utter guilt, my boss said "no, no, we'll work it out."