Thursday, June 16, 2005

HELP! I want to kidnap a Border Collie puppy!


This is taking a lot of will power. My husband is trying to be the voice of reason.

My husband's niece just acquired a border collie puppy. She has two little kids. Her 5 year old wanted a puppy. She is not, per sey, a dog person. They have a fenced back yard. My reflex is - I want to rescue this puppy before they really mess her up. There are already problems with puppy dragging stuff off of the tables and peeing on the couch and chewing shoes (hmmm - submissive urinating from being constantly screamed at?). Rolling Eyes

When my sister-in-law told me that her daughter has a BC puppy, my first response was "She better be prepared for lots of energy and lots of patience and training". She responded with "...but we remember your Crystal (my BC mix who passed away a couple of years ago) and she was so smart and sweet and wonderful with kids!".

Crystal took some work. I then explained that I was a dedicated "socker mom" for Crystal. We ran every morning in the park at 6:00. We went to agility, flyball, obedience classes and competitions. We did this to prevent our house from being destroyed. We did this to keep from murdering her.

She was my alter ego. She was the dog love of my life. Cool Don't get me wrong, I love young Miss Trudy. She is doing very well and I love her to bits. I don't and can't ever compare her to Crystal.

After my explanation, I took a deep breath, smiled and said " It will probably be fine. If your daughter finds her too much to handle, I would be happy to take her. The Trudster could use a young playmate." I also suggested that her daughter get thee to obedience class. Wink


5 comments:

P said...

i will never forget you holding up your only unscathed shoes in your large mirrored walk-in closet -- your saucony running shoes -- and screaming through furious tears, "she ate all my shoooooooooooooes!"

and you wonder why i'm not a dog person? scarred for life, i was. ;)

diane303 said...

I feel guilty that I hold Crystal up as such a dog icon. She was such a diffucult dog to raise.

Trudy is sooooo incredibly good when left alone in the house or car. She is sooo smart at agility class. Obedience eludes her (as it does me) but she is excellent before her eyes start to glaze over.

Crystal could just be so absolutely amazing! Remember when we smuggled her into your dorm room up the fire escape? Poor dog.

Casey said...

I say get the dog! Wooohoo! More dogs, dogs, and more dogs! Yea!

diane303 said...

I was reading border collie horror stories on the web and, guess what, just about all of the stories could have been Crystal growing up. She, actually, was quite a nightmare as a puppy.

I should just concentrate on the Trudster. She is truly turning into a great dog.

If I consider another one it will be after Socks passes away. I really don't think that I should stress her with another puppy.

I just have to be sensible.

Unknown said...

I work at a dog rescue center so it really annoys me when people buy dogs they dont know they aren't ready for. Especially BCs and kelpies - they need so much entertainment! I have cats at the moment because i am working and have university and my son to care for, but when I get a dog I am so getting one that doesn't need a lot of exercise - I am way too lazy!