Monday, April 09, 2007

The Girls


Yesterday, Jack said that I was eventually going to become a dodgey old dog lady (affectionately, of course). Grace & Trudy were stretched out on my lap and, when they got up, I was covered with white hair. Actually, I would be comfortable betting that, at any given moment, you could find white dog hair clinging to me somewhere. So much of my time is taken up by these creatures.

They are just mystifying to me, though. They love you when you are not even crazy about yourself. The only thing that I really can't give them is the opportunity to run for miles and miles after some bird. That gets them ticked once in a while. Birds and acres and acres of land are dope to bird dogs. That is one time when they forget about everything else.

Oh well.

5 comments:

P said...

i love the yin-yang. that's very cool.

Anonymous said...

nice drawing.
i'm always covered in something if it's not black dog hair, its mashed avacado, squash, or fuit.

diane303 said...

I guess if you are intimately involved with the care of another creature, you're going to get rumpled, spattered and frayed. Wasn't that the point of the velveteen Rabbit?

Thanks, this graphic is one of my favorites. These two are just so different. When Grace is in the house, she sticks to you like velcro and is at your beck and call. Trudy is a sassy brat. Outside, Trudy ALWAYS comes to you when she is called and keeps an eye on you from afar. Grace's eyes glaze over and all she sees is acres and acres of field to run. All she hears and smells is the scent and sound of critters to chaise. You are long forgotten.

Anonymous said...

I remember going to the pediatrician once when David was a newborn. I was concerned that he was spitting up so much. I told the doctor that I was constantly covered in wads of baby puke. What can I do about it, I asked? His reply? I'll never forgot it. He said, Open a perfume company. 'Cause it's the look and smell of a mom. Don't worry about it, just get used to it. Revel in it and you and your baby will be just fine.
L.

diane303 said...

L,
Thanks for posting on my miserable little blog! Very true. It took me three babies to finally learn that. When I was in labor with Nicole, I wondered whether I should put my false eyelashes on, and opted not to. Now, I have to going to a really special occasion to aim a blow dryer toward lmy head after I get out of the shower.