Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Spring Makes Me Cranky!

VOUSA


This is a Vousa (technically, the Greek word for a toad on a log. How they get Toad-on-a-log from one little word is a mystery to me. But then so are a lot of things that are Greek - like my X). The word "Vousa" also refers to a crabby, petulant person who doesn't want to move (note the expression). Picture this creature crossing it's little arms and saying "hurumph!"

Every Spring, I can relate.

Spring is not a good time of year for me. It is chilly, windy and damp. The yard turns in to mud with ugly old plant material from last year sticking up. I try to take wonder in the tender little daffodils, hyacinths and crocus that are trying desperately to survive (only to be slam dunked by a late Spring snow freeze probably in April - Jeez is there an analogy there?), but it's not working for me.

I can't let Frick and Frack out in the already muddy yard because they will tear it up and come in looking like canine alternatives for a detergent commercial where kids are playing touch football in the mud (you know the one) and, damn it, it's cold, windy and raw out.

CRAP!

We toy with the idea of moving down South, but we really don't want to be away from the kids, babies, friends and activities here by the Lake. I try to fool myself into thinking that maybe the kids would come and visit if we lived in warmer climes, but actually, I know that I can hop in the car and drive for less than two hours to see everybody if I am truly in need of a family fix.

Next year we just might not come home from AL until April. So there ("hurumph!")

6 comments:

Dina said...

just let spring remind you that summer is on it's way. this year has been horrible, and i would have loved for last march's 80 degree days. at least i can put gollashes on the kids and let them run through puddles and them take them off before walking in the house.
i have a permanent dog foot bucket outside the door, and fill it in the morning so i can wash louie's feet before he comes back in.
next year it might easier to fly with two kids by myself. we'd be happy to come down for a week (or longer)

diane303 said...

This weather makes me want to curl up and sleep.

I would love it if you could make it down for a week or so. All the little kids were flying kites out on the beach this year.

Dina said...

it would be fun to fly kites. next year they'll be closer to three, so it may be easier...or not. we'll come down for sure either way.

diane303 said...

Lots of sand to dig. Lots of birds to feed. We can go to the little Zoo. We can go down to Lulus and have lunch and see the boats.

Anonymous said...

Love the toad pic. I feel just like he looks and it has nothing to do with the weather. I'm just a cranky bitch most of the time for no reason at all. I agree with Dina, the best way to get through Spring is to let it serve as a reminder that Summer is close behind! Or, stay down South 'till the 4th of July.
Laurel

diane303 said...

Laurel. I just can't think of you as a cranky bitch.

Hey the sun is shining today and 45 degrees, with a possible 55 by the end of the afternoon.

Frick and Frack was able to go out in the yard and run like crazy beast without pulling up too much mud.

Life is good.