Monday, August 15, 2005

Two training groups. One friendly....one not.

Last night the woman who runs the dog obedience classes called me about upcoming classes. She was friendly and encouraging. A week ago, the agility instructor made a point of discussing with me how to proceed with Trudy's agility training. I look forward to continuing agility and obedience with this group. They both made me feel as though there is hope for us yet.

After my horses death, I have transformed my horse-training obsession to a dog-training obsession. I started puppy classes with Trudy at a dog club located near my house that seemed, initially, very promising. I quickly noticed that even the beginner classes contained people and their dogs who had been doing this stuff for a while. I though "Oh great! Serious dog people - great place to start!" After a puppy class, an obedience class, an agility class, and half of a handler's class. I got the feeling that I was dealing with folks who were on the inside ... and I was definitely on the outside. My dog was too small to be (in their estimation) a "good" English setter (They refer to the bench type - she comes from a long line of field champions). She was much too distractible. So...mmmmmby by! I think that the exclusive attitude there is fueled by a couple of the officers who take themselves way too seriously.

Hmmmmm...funny..when I started taking the twerp there, I talked to the breeder, a well-respected field trial person, and his reaction was that they were "snobby.....very very snobby" - I said "nooooo - they are really....OK....I think....serious...you know?".

Because I needed a more convenient class time, I found another group, near my work, to continue agility and obedience training. They don't have a big fancy website like the other place, but they do compete as a group. I found the agility class very well structured and the obedience class motivating and progressive. All the instructors are serious, helpful, and encouraging. Even Trudy is more motivated to learn there.
We really looked forward to going to class. Trudy was stellar.

I even toyed with the idea of taking classes at both places, keeping some ties open. I took a handler's class at the snotty place. Trudy was distracted and silly - thumbed her little black nose at the instructor every chance she could get (she's wiser than Mom, I think) and the instructor was so exacerbated, that I dropped out of class in utter shame. I never got a return call or a word of encouragement - (which I took as a "good riddance to bad rubbish on their part).

Soo, I will call the breeder and tell him about this other place. I will tell him that he was right and if any of his new clients want to try obedience or agility, they should avoid the first place and try the second with high
recommendations.

...and leave the first place behind.......good riddance to bad rubbish.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Exacerbated means to make worse! But, aside from wrong word - good you found a place! Love, your silly sister

Anonymous said...

I think the word you want is exasperated

Anonymous said...

hi all juz dunno why i'm here juz wanted to say hi to u all hehe i'm stefan from north sulawesi.